That happened during the Eurozone crisis and it is likely to happen again with the unprecedented refugee crisis, he said, urging for "more Europe".
The interview furthermore digs deep into Van Rompuy's thinking on the following topics:
- the unfolding refugee crisis in Europe
- the eurozone crisis, the Greek bailout and its upcoming elections
- the war in Ukraine and the EU's relations with Russia
- Brexit, EU Reform and an ever closer eurozone
- reflections on 5 years as European Council president, and how this position may evolve
- and maybe one more haiku...